Thursday, July 23, 2009

They made you who you are.

I am sitting here watching my niece Jannae out of the corner of my eye.  She is reading a Junie B . Jones book.  It’s hard to believe that she is 8 1/2 yrs old.  It seems like just yesterday I was changing her diapers. 

Most 8 yr olds these days think they are to old to pretend play, but that is one of Jannae’s favorite passed times.  All week long Jannae and Parker have been playing school.  Of course Jannae is the teacher, and Parker alternates between being the student, and the teachers assistant.

I love that she is mature and responsible, that she can be trusted to do tasks without supervision.  Yet she’s not in a hurry to grow up.  I hope that she holds onto her child like innocents for many more years to come. 

She has endured a lot in her eight years of life, including loosing her best friend, and cousin Teagyn.  The passing of her Grandma, and Grandpa.   As tragic as many of those experience have been, she would not be the little girl that she is today, if things had played out differently. 

Tuesday night as we were chatting she told me she was sorry that both my parent’s had died.  She told me that Teagyn still comes over to play. She said “She usually comes over when I am sleeping".”   “we  like to play Uno, play with my horses, and talk".”

She is wise beyond her years.

I wish I could freeze time.

No comments:

Post a Comment